About Dental Implants
Implant dentistry is a specialised field for the replacement of missing teeth. This is done with titanium fixtures placed in the jawbone. These fixtures are used to support missing teeth. Dentists will place the titanium fixtures and some time is necessary for the bone to heal completely around these fixtures, after which crowns can be placed via intermediate abutments.
At T32, computer-aided dental implant treatment is employed. The recent development of our digital workspace has fully integrated various technologies (that improve the predictability and safety of implant treatment) to provide a one-stop facility for performing Computer-Aided Implant Treatment.
Our specialists have collaborated with various institutions and private clinics to teach and further enhance the standards of predictability and safety of implant treatment. The use of specialised computer software and digital 3-dimensional x-ray facility has allowed our dentists to plan and perform implant surgeries in a virtual space. This serves to prepare our dentists during the performance of the actual surgery and hence improves the safety and predictability of implant treatment. Specialised laboratory equipment and trained technicians are available on-site to ensure a precise fit and the quality of your new teeth.
Type of Dental Implants
Traditional Implant Treatment
Traditional Implant Treatment is a conventional way of replacing missing teeth. This type of implant treatment has been done since the 1960s and has very high success rate (close to 99%).
Treatment duration ranges between 2 to 4 months.
Singaporeans and permanent residents of Singapore can choose to claim from Medisave on part of the treatment cost. Medisave funds of immediate family members can also be used for this purpose. For more details on Medisave coverage, please visit our Medisave page.
Treatment fees may also be further divided into installments.
Keyhole Implant Treatment
Keyhole Implant Treatment is an advanced technique for replacing missing teeth. This type of implant treatment is based on the concept of reducing the size of the surgical site. Sometimes, the gums are not opened to perform such surgery.
Reducing the surgical site and trauma will reduce the post-operative pain and swelling.
Advanced imaging technology is employed during the planning of such treatment.
Pro Arch/All-On-4 Implant Treatment
Straumann Implants Pro Arch is a scientifically proven technique with well-established results that allows for edentulous (toothless) patients or for patients with dentures to have a new set of teeth. From planning and implant placement to the final restoration, the entire treatment is seamless for the patient.
Straumann full-arch solutions replace missing teeth in the upper and/or lower jaw, with a full-arch supported by 4 – 8 dental implants. The treatment uses Straumann dental implants placed at strategic angle and positions in the front part of the jaw where the natural quantity of the bone is usually enough to support an implant.
Mini-Implant Treatment is a minimally invasive treatment to place 4 mini-implants to secure a full lower denture.
Although this is a cost-effective method, this type of implant treatment is only suitable for patients who have a lower full denture (Missing all lower teeth)
Medisave cannot be used for this type of implant treatment.
Treatment fees may be divided into installments.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Improve chewing efficiency
Dental implants allow for the application of higher bite force when compared to dentures. Hence, patients with implants can chew with better efficiency. This will translate to food tasting better.
No pain from dentures
Loose and ill-fitting dentures can cause ulcers and cuts into the gum tissue. Using implants, the denture can be secured and hence, prevents such painful daily experience.
The loss of teeth leads to a “sunken-in” appearance, which is typically associated with aging. When patients replace their teeth, these teeth will support the lips and cheeks that results in a more desirable appearance.
Better health through better diet
Compromises in chewing efficiency will affect the choice of food in our daily diet. When chewing efficiency is affected, patients tend to favour soft food, which is high in sugar and fat content and avoid fibrous or tougher food, higher in protein and vitamins. Replacing teeth with dental implants will enable patients to have a more balanced diet through improvement in chewing efficiency.
Improve self-esteem and confidence
Missing teeth or loose dentures can negatively impact our patients’ self-esteem and confidence. Patient with such problems tend to avoid smiling, speaking or engaging in social activities. However, with adequate replacement of teeth, patients can then confidently speak and smile without the fear of denture dropping midway through a conversation.
Dental Implants Treatment Process
1. What you can expect at the first consultation?
- Relevant x-rays will be taken and comprehensive examination will be performed by our dentists.
- Our dentist will then discuss your pre-existing dental condition and treatment required to save your natural teeth.
- Discussion of treatment plan for implants includes information on the duration of treatment, phases of treatment, implant brands and materials used, cost and as well as the maintenance protocol.
2. Placement of Implant
- Dentists will gently insert a titanium implant under local anaesthesia in our purpose-built surgical suite.
- Implant surgeries can also be performed while a patient is under sedation. This help patients to comfortably sleep through the procedure.
- Once the implant is placed, the implant site is allowed to heal for about 1-2 months. During this time, the jawbone is allowed to heal around the implant. Temporary restoration may be placed during this phase for aesthetic and functional reasons.
3. Placement of new teeth
- After osseointegration of the titanium implants to bone, dentists will take a mould of your implants.
- Each crown is custom-made by our in-house technician. The crown is made to match to the neighbouring teeth as much as possible in order to achieve a good esthetic outcome
4. Care for your implants
- Implants are like our natural teeth and need to be cleaned daily. They also need to be checked regularly and be cleaned by dentists.
- Professional cleaning of implants is done with special instruments; otherwise the implant surface will be damaged.
5. How long is the surgery?
In most cases, implant surgeries can be completed in 30 minutes. However, adequate time should be given for the patient to have all his/her questions answered. Also, time should also be allowed for the patient to be prepared for the surgery in an unhurried fashion.
6. Is the surgery painful?
- Most implant surgeries are pain-free. In fact, almost 90% of our patients do not need painkillers beyond the second day. However, we would recommend that the patient takes the prescribed painkillers on the first day.
- For patients who are anxious, implant surgery can be done under intra-venous sedation (IV sedation). During this form of sedation, patients will be asleep while the procedure takes place.
Single Tooth Solution
Crown on Single Implant
Bridge on Dental Implants
Financing Dental Implants Treatment
Patient Education and Consultation
At T32, we understand the concerns while you are on the road to regaining your confidence. As such, patient education and counselling is important. We will help you fully understand your dental condition and the eventual proposed treatment plan.Before our dentists are able to determine if dental implants are the appropriate treatment for you, they would need to:
- Examine your dental condition with the review of an x-ray and/or CT scan of your jaw and teeth,
- Discuss your medical history and other concerns that you may have, and
- Thereafter, present the proposed treatment plan to you.
Dental Implant Cost
The cost of implant treatment is dependent on the following factors.
- Experience and skill level of the dentist
- The brand and reliability of implant used
- The type of material used to fabricate the teeth
- Whether additional adjunct procedures are required
We encourage you to speak with our professionals to find out more about the dental implant treatments available for your condition, dental implant costs, price ranges and other fees applicable.
If you are a Singaporean or a permanent resident of Singapore, Medisave may be utilised for the surgical component of your dental implant treatment.Our friendly front desk staff will be happy to assist in processing your Medisave claim. For more details on Medisave coverage, please visit our Medisave page.
Please check with your insurance advisors on your dental insurance coverage. Our patient care counsellors will assist with the details on the insurance claim forms. After which you will submit these to your insurer. You may also enquire through our website to check if your insurance company has an existing arrangement with our clinic.
Frequently Asked Questions about Dental Implants
- Most patients are suitable candidates for implant treatment. In general, patients in reasonably good health, can undergo dental implant treatment.
- Patients with conditions like uncontrolled diabetes and high blood pressure are not suitable candidates for dental implant treatment. However, once they have brought those conditions under control, a review to determine their suitability can be arranged again.
- Our advice is to have a thorough examination (including 3-dimensional x-rays) with your specialist. It is not advisable to proceed with implant treatment without first having a detailed discussion with your dentist.
- When a single tooth is lost, the surrounding bone will shrink. This causes neighbouring teeth to drift out of position, and opposing teeth may grow into the space left by the missing tooth.
- When multiple teeth are lost, patients can look aged due to loss of support for the lips.
According to a current research, implants have a success rate of 95% in the last 10 years. However, parts of the implant may need replacement during the research period. Hence, it is important to use implant that is manufactured by reputable companies, so that replacement parts can be sourced easily when necessary.
Implants are like our natural teeth and need to be cleaned daily. They will also need to be checked and cleaned regularly by your dentist. Professional cleaning of implants is done with special instruments to prevent damage to the surface of the implant.
- Firstly, find out if the dentist has relevant post-graduate qualifications as implant training is not done during most undergraduate programmes. Some structured post-graduate training on implant dentistry is necessary for the dentist to gain the required knowledge and skills. The dentist should regularly attend lectures and hands-on courses as continuous education are important for the constant upgrading of the dentist's skills and knowledge.
- It is also important to see before and after photos of work performed by the dentist. This is because, before and after photos of work performed by dentist will provide an idea of the possible final outcome. Also, these photos can also be used to gauge the dentist's experience in the specific clinical situation.
- Last but not least, find out if the dentist will be using modern technology to ensure safety and reliability of your implant treatment. Modern technology to ensure safety and reliability includes 3-dimensional x-rays, implant-planning software etc.
Dental Implant Public Forum
Eat, feel, and live better with Dental Implants!
If you or your loved ones are suffering from missing teeth and would like to find out more about your different options, the Dental Implant Public Forum will be a great opportunity for you to have all your questions answered!
Our team will be available to answer your burning questions, break down the steps to an implant treatment and provide you with the different options when replacing missing teeth.
The Dental Implant Public Forum is conducted by a Dental Specialist in Prosthodontics.